Founded in 1818, it was named Centerville because it was the geographical center of the state. Until then, adjacent heavily wooded lands were called Magrilla. In 1814, after the completion of the Bordentown and South Amboy stagecoach turnpike, William McKnight, director of the turnpike company, built a tavern at the intersection of the turnpike and present-day Windsor-Perrineville Road. A major thruway between New York and Philadelphia, the turnpike replaced Old York Road, which started out as a Native-American path prior to European settlement. In late 1831, the Camden and Amboy Railroad was constructed through Centerville. The village became a stopover for rail travelers, and a thriving center for the bountiful farms and mills which serviced the growing population. It quickly became the largest village between Yardville (Sand Town) and Hightstown, and was renamed "Windsor" in 1846 to avoid any confusion with a Centerville post office in Hunterdon County.
Today Windsor is on the list of Registered Historic Places in New Jersey.
Visit the Windsor article on Wikipedia.